- Keep teaching and learning the main thing, because that is the main thing
- Be flexible - in everything - if your child were a student in your classroom, how would you want them treated?
- A snack/protein bar is NOT a meal; plus, it's basically just sugar anyway
- Stay grounded in reality - you may not reach every student in the same way, or even in a meaningful way, but you should still try
- Stay in the loop with popular culture - staying current helps keep you in-touch with your students so you know what is important to them in their world - then, make content relevant!
- If you coach a sport, remember which job (relatively speaking) is your $4,000/yr job and which is your $40,000/yr job
- Problem-based learning and project-based learning are not just headings in your education textbooks
- Teacher-centered instruction is so 1953...
- Dress professionally - always (don't do jeans day for the first year) - and dress to impress
- Learn everyone's names and use them often, staff and students alike
- "The good ones will always have a job" - so make sure you are one of the good ones
- Use technology like it's going out of style (because it might be before you know it) - Twitter for the classroom and for life
- Make and carry business cards for yourself with basic contact information on there - you never know when you might need that
- If you're email address is email@example.com, or contains a number that rhymes with airline, CHANGE IT NOW! (firstname.lastname@example.org is a great idea!)
- Be less helpful - don't spoonfeed students; do more student-centered/inquiry-based instruction
- Make a single item portfolio, or shortfolio, with your resume, references, contact information and a title page with some pictures of you doing good teaching stuff on it. This should be a 11" x 17" 4-page booklet.
- Make all your professional stuff available on the web somewhere - so it can be easily accessed by anyone online (then you can put a shortened custom URL on your business card)
- Don't fall victim to the curriculum checklist philosophy of teaching where you do things just to say "I covered that" or you checked it off your 'to teach' list - teach for understanding!
- Be a team player
- Plan your learning goals ahead of time - backward design
- Get enough sleep - seriously, don't stay up until 1:00am doing grading or something (plan ahead)
- Make your teaching practices and decisions transparent to students - letting them (and parents) in on why you do things the way you do them makes for more reflective and metacognitive students
- Invite administrators, colleagues, parents and others into your classrooms to see what you are doing - then impress the heck out of them
- Important Fable #1: The Grasshopper and the Ant - be the ant people, be the ant!
- Important Fable #2: The Tortoise and the Hare - this one goes back to #18: which one will you be?
Sunday, August 7, 2011
Fortune Cookies for Teachers: 25 Ideas Every Teacher Should Keep in Mind
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Awesome ideas. I would also like to share an article on how to write a thesis statement for a research paper.ReplyDelete
This comment has been removed by the author.ReplyDelete
Amazing ideas. I think every single teacher should remember about them during the work. Because it's quite easy to forget about them in the high stressful work. Working as teacher you need to find a time to reread those tips or reviews of mymathgenius.comReplyDelete
IEEE Final Year projects India Project Centers in India are consistently sought after. Final Year Students Projects take a shot at them to improve their aptitudes, while specialists like the enjoyment in interfering with innovation. For experts, it's an alternate ball game through and through. Smaller than expected IEEE Final Year project centers ground for all fragments of CSE & IT engineers hoping to assemble. Final Year Projects for CSE It gives you tips and rules that is progressively critical to consider while choosing any final year project point.ReplyDelete
Spring Framework has already made serious inroads as an integrated technology stack for building user-facing applications. Spring Framework Corporate TRaining the authors explore the idea of using Java in Big Data platforms.
Specifically, Spring Framework provides various tasks are geared around preparing data for further analysis and visualization. Spring Training in Chennai
The Nodejs Training Angular Training covers a wide range of topics including Components, Angular Directives, Angular Services, Pipes, security fundamentals, Routing, and Angular programmability. The new Angular TRaining will lay the foundation you need to specialise in Single Page Application developer. Angular Training
Philosophy coursework writing services have become very popular for those studying philosophy research writing services as they engage the best online Philosophy Essay Writing Services.ReplyDelete
i just want to say your article is very helpful Billionaire Boys Club Varsity Bomber Black Beige Leather JacketReplyDelete
The thing I was always scared of is to be accused of cheating. With write my essay service, that fear is not there no more. Thanks for sending original essays, and this one was so good in particular! Like the quality of your writing and fast responses.ReplyDelete
Hello world! We offers a fully legit research paper writing service freepaperwriter.com. For hundreds of US students, we’re the most reliable essay company online that can help with any writing homework quickly and for an affordable price.ReplyDelete
You get a 5% bonus, which applies to your next order. We have everything you need to deliver premier papers https://topessaybrands.com/review/kibin/. Do not hesitate to place your order and get professional help. We are reliable. Use our services!ReplyDelete
Nice to see you! Very informative posts I've found on this blog, so thank you for sharing useful topics like this! But If you're a pupil of school, college or university and do not know how to write correct and great essays in your native language. So, it can always be ordered from this online company, just click here on https://essaysrescue.com/cliffsnotes-review/ website for more info.ReplyDelete
Nice job guys, what is the purpose of a persuasive essay ?! College essay writing. The essay is the most common written assignment at college. Tell us ‘write my essay online,’ specify your subject and topic, and receive a compelling English essay within your deadline.ReplyDelete